Masik Shivaratri 2023, also known as “the Great Night of Lord Shiva,” is a significant Hindu festival celebrated with immense devotion and enthusiasm throughout the year. While Maha Shivaratri is the most famous of all Shivaratri festivals, there are twelve Shivaratri occurrences in a year, known as “Masik Shivaratri.” In this blog, we will delve into the Masik Shivaratri in 2023, its date, the captivating story behind its celebration, the Vrat Vidhi (rituals), and the profound benefits of observing this auspicious day.
Masik Shivaratri 2023 Date
Masik Shivaratri 2023 occurs once a month, and the specific date is determined based on the Hindu lunar calendar. In 2023, the dates for Masik Shivaratri are as follows:
- 22nd January (Monday)
- 20th February (Monday)
- 22nd March (Wednesday)
- 19th April (Wednesday)
- 18th May (Thursday)
- 16th June (Friday)
- 15th July (Saturday)
- 13th August (Sunday)
- 11th September (Monday)
- 11th October (Wednesday)
- 9th November (Thursday)
- 8th December (Thursday)
The Mythological Significance – Story behind Shivaratri
The legend of Masik Shivaratri is rooted in Hindu mythology. According to the Puranas, there was once a hunter named Suswara, who, unknowingly, killed a deer that was pregnant. As the deer took her last breath, she forgave the hunter and asked him to take care of her newborn fawn. Filled with remorse, Suswara accepted the fawn and raised it with love and compassion.
One day, as Suswara was wandering in the forest with the grown fawn, they encountered a Shiva Lingam under a Bilva tree. Unaware of its significance, Suswara offered some Bilva leaves and water to the Lingam as an act of goodwill. Little did he know that this simple act of devotion, performed unintentionally on the auspicious night of Shivaratri, pleased Lord Shiva immensely.
Pleased with Suswara’s pure heart and accidental devotion, Lord Shiva appeared before him and blessed him with divine knowledge and salvation. From that day onwards, Masik Shivaratri became a sacred day when devotees worship Lord Shiva with utmost reverence to seek His divine blessings and attain spiritual growth.
Vrat Vidhi (Rituals) of Masik Shivaratri 2023
Observing a fast (vrat) and performing specific rituals on Masik Shivaratri is believed to bring peace, prosperity, and spiritual elevation. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to observe the Vrat Vidhi of Masik Shivaratri:
1. Purify Your Body and Mind: Wake up early in the morning, take a bath, and cleanse yourself both physically and mentally. Wear clean and comfortable clothes.
2. Create a Sacred Space: Set up a peaceful corner in your home with a clean altar or a designated space to place the Shiva Lingam or an idol of Lord Shiva.
3. Offerings to Lord Shiva: Offer fresh flowers, fruits, Bilva leaves, milk, honey, curd, ghee, and water to the Shiva Lingam or the idol. These items are considered sacred and symbolize devotion and purity.
4. Chant Mantras and Prayers: Recite powerful Shiva mantras such as the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra or the Om Namah Shivaya mantra. You can also sing bhajans and hymns dedicated to Lord Shiva.
5. Perform Abhishekam: Pour water or milk over the Shiva Lingam as a symbol of purification and love. Some devotees perform Rudrabhishekam, where they bathe the Shiva Lingam with various sacred substances.
6. Observe the Fast: Some devotees choose to observe a strict fast on this day, abstaining from food and water for the entire day. Others may observe a partial fast and consume fruits, milk, and other simple dishes.
7. Stay Awake at Night: Many devotees stay awake all night, engaging in prayers, meditation, and reading the stories and glories of Lord Shiva. This night-long vigil is known as “Jagaran.”
The Spiritual and Health Benefits of Observing Shivaratri
1. Spiritual Upliftment: Observing Masik Shivaratri with sincere devotion helps in strengthening the spiritual connection with Lord Shiva. It provides an opportunity for self-reflection and paves the way for inner transformation.
2. Removal of Negativity: Worshiping Lord Shiva on this auspicious day helps in purifying the mind and soul, thereby eliminating negative energies and promoting positivity.
3. Blessings of Lord Shiva: It is believed that sincere prayers and offerings to Lord Shiva on Masik Shivaratri can lead to the fulfilment of desires and the bestowal of divine blessings.
4. Improved Mental Focus: The practice of meditation and chanting mantras during the Vrat Vidhi enhances mental focus and concentration, promoting mental clarity.
5. Detoxification of Body: Fasting on Masik Shivaratri aids in the detoxification of the body, giving the digestive system a break and promoting overall well-being.
Shivaratri 2023 is a divine opportunity for devotees to express their love and reverence for Lord Shiva. By observing this sacred day with devotion and sincerity, individuals can experience spiritual growth, inner peace, and the blessings of the Supreme Being. So, mark your calendars and immerse yourself in the divine glory of Lord Shiva on Masik Shivaratri 2023. May His divine grace bestow upon you the strength to overcome obstacles and lead a life of fulfilment and bliss. Om Namah Shivaya!
Make your Fast more Successful by observing it with the guidance of the World’s Best Astrologer. He will guide you to perform fast with proper Pooja and rituals. He will Suggest you do a fast and Puja, according to your Kundli Analysis or Janam Kundli online. Your Planetary movement will decide which fast or Puja can fulfil your wish.