Every year after the full moon date of the month of Ashadha, the month of Shravan begins. Worship of Lord Shiva and chanting of mantras are considered of special importance in this entire month. Lord Shiva holds the highest position among all the gods in Sanatan Dharma. He is called the Kaal of Kaal, Mahakal. By their grace, even time cannot harm a human being. Many miraculous mantras of Lord Shiva have been told in the scriptures. One of these is the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra. This mantra is considered very powerful. According to the belief, it is said that if this mantra is chanted in a certain number, then even the biggest incurable diseases are averted. There is a mythological belief about this mantra that the danger of death is also averted by its chanting. If the sum of death is formed in someone’s horoscope, then the remedy for chanting Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is said. According to the belief, by chanting it, a person gets a long life. Chanting this mantra in the month of Sawan is very auspicious. By the grace of Lord Shiva, Yamraj also does not give any trouble to such a person. Let us know why Mahamrityunjaya Mantra has been considered so effective and how this Maha Mantra was composed.
According to the legend about the origin of the Mahamrityunjaya mantra, once upon a time sage Mrikandu did severe penance to Lord Shiva to get a child. Pleased with the austerity of his devotee, Lord Shiva granted sage Mrikandu a boon to get a child as per his wish, but Lord Shiva told sage Mrikandu that this son would be short-lived. After some time, sage Mrikandu got the son Ratna. After the birth of the son, the sages told that the age of this child would be only 16 years. On hearing this, sage Mrikandu was stunned by sadness.
It is an eternal truth that the one who is born is sure to die. But we find accounts of resurrection after death in Vedas, Puranas, and other scriptures. After cutting off the head of Ganesha and putting the head of an elephant, Shiva revived Ganesha.
It was Lord Shankar who killed Daksha Prajapati by beheading him and again donated his life by putting the head of Aja (goat). To revive the sixty thousand sons of Sagar king, King Bhagirath did penance for hundreds of years and brought Ganga from heaven to earth and Sagar sons got life.
All the above accounts are directly related to Shiva.
- Countless such accounts are found in the scriptures, from which it is clear that Lord Shiva, who is also called Mahamrityunjay Bhagwan, not only extinguishes diseases, troubles, enemies, etc. Maharishi Vashistha, Markandeya, and Shukracharya have been the seekers and users of the Mahamrityunjaya mantra.
Sage Markandeya had averted his death on the strength of the Mahamrityunjaya mantra, Yamraj had to go back to Yamaloka empty-handed.
- Lankapati Ravana was also a seeker of the Mahamrityunjaya mantra. With the effect of this mantra, he had cut off his nine heads ten times and offered them to them.
- Shukracharya had the divine Mahamrityunjaya mantra with the effect of which he would heal the soldiers injured in battle and immediately revive the dead.
- Shukracharya, by providing Mahamrityunjaya Siddhi to a demon named Raktabeej, had created the entire body from a drop of blood on the battlefield.
- The most important story is that due to the effect of the Mahamrityunjaya mantra, Guru Dronacharya attained Ashwatthama, it is said that along with the curse, it is also one of the reasons that he is still alive. Many people have seen him roaming on the banks of river Narmada in the same body.
- Ashwatthama was the son of Dronacharya. Dronacharya pleased Shiva with his penance and obtained a son named Ashwatthama from his share. Ashwatthama had many powers given by Shiva. He was a part of Shiva himself.
- A priceless gem was present in Ashwatthama’s head since birth, which kept him fearless from demons, demons, weapons, diseases, gods, snakes, etc. Due to this gem, any weapon could not affect him.
- Draupadi, giving life to Ashwatthama, suggested Arjuna take off his gem. Therefore, Arjuna gave his life by taking his crown gem. Arjuna gave this gem to Draupadi, which Draupadi gave in the possession of Yudhishthira.
Shri Krishna cursed Ashwatthama to wander for 6 thousand years.
How many times should you chant Mahamrityunjaya Mantra for what purpose?
In the scriptures, there is a law to chant different numbers of mantras for different tasks. In this, for which work the number of chants should be mentioned.
- 1100 mantras are chanted to get rid of fear.
- 11000 mantras are chanted for freedom from diseases.
- For the attainment of a son, for progress, to avoid premature death, it is necessary to chant 1.25 lakh mantras.
- It is absolutely necessary to follow the law of scripture for the rituals, otherwise there is more possibility of loss instead of profit.
Therefore it is necessary that everything should be done according to the scriptures. For this, the guidance of a qualified and learned person should be taken.
- If the seeker does this sadhna with full faith and belief, then there is a strong possibility of getting the desired result.
Its general mantra is as follows, but the seeker should chant the Beej Mantra only.
Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam. Urvarukamiv bandhananmrityormukshiyya mammrita
Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is a special mantra to please Lord Shiva. This mantra is written in the praise of Lord Shiva in Rigveda and Yajurveda. This mantra should be chanted with a rosary of Rudraksha. Due to this, all kinds of problems and diseases end. At the same time, the fear of premature death (untimely death) is also removed. According to Shiv Purana, chanting this mantra eliminates all the obstacles and troubles of a human being.
Mahamrityunjaya Mantra destroys defects Chanting of Mahamrityunjaya Mantra destroys many defects like Manglik Dosha, Nadi Dosha, Kaal Sarp Dosh, Ghost-Phantom Dosha, Disease, Nightmare, Pregnancy, Childbirth.
Chanting of Mahamrityunjay Mantra gives auspicious results
- Longevity (long life) – Any person who has a desire to get a long life, he should regularly chant the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra. With the effect of this mantra, the fear of premature death of man ends. This mantra is very dear to Lord Shiva, the one who chants it gets a long life.
- Arogya Aapti – This mantra not only makes a person fearless but also destroys his diseases. Lord Shiva is also called the god of death. By chanting this mantra, diseases are destroyed and a person becomes healthy.
- Acquisition of wealth – Any person who has a desire to get wealth, he should recite the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra. Lord Shiva is always pleased with the recitation of this mantra and there is never a shortage of money and food in man.
- Achievement of Yash (respect) – By chanting this mantra, a person gets a high position in the society. A person seeking respect should chant the Mahamrityunjaya mantra daily.
- Attainment of children – By chanting the Mahamrityunjay mantra, the grace of Lord Shiva always remains and every wish is fulfilled. Chanting this mantra daily gives birth to a child.
The Mahamrityunjay Mantra has a lot of glory in the Puranas. Mahamrityunjaya Mantra has a lot of power in itself. Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is made up of three words (Maha, Mrityu, Jai). One such mantra to get victory over death is Mahamrityunjaya Mantra. This mantra was generated by sage Markandeya and by chanting this mantra one can attain health, wealth and salvation, etc. The Mahamrityunjaya mantra is enough in itself to eradicate every crisis. With Mahamrityunjaya Mantra, you can conquer even death. If you chant this mantra with full devotion, you can achieve whatever you want.
Those who chant the Mahamrityunjaya mantra themselves, it has a great effect on their mind. This can be easily guessed.
The Mahamrityunjaya mantra is as follows-
Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam. Urvarukamiv bandhananmrityormukshiyya mamritat
The glory of Mahamrityunjaya Mantra When the moon was cursed by Vijayapati Daksha and the death of the moon was certain, then to save the moon from death, Sage Markandeya asked Mata Sati to chant this mantra and then Mother Sati chanted this mantra. And then Lord Shiva put the moon on his head, then at that time the moon was saved.
If you want to chant, then doing it from 4 in the morning is very fruitful. Its glory is so much that if you chant with a rosary sitting at home, it will be very good. If people taking medicines chant this mantra, then their medicines get four times more effective.
Method of Chanting Mahamrityunjaya Mantra
The best time to chant the Mahamrityunjaya mantra is Brahma Muhurta. But people can do it at any time. For chanting, lay a seat, it is best if it is a red seat. To chant, turn your face towards the east. Take a glass of water and close it with the palm of your right hand. Chant this mantra one thousand and eight times. When the chanting of the mantra is completed, then sprinkle it in your office, home, and drink it yourself.